Learn How to Keep Mosquitoes Away this summer.
As we prepare to say goodbye to the winter months (and our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Texas), it’s important home and business owners are aware of the new pests that the warmer months will bring. One such pest that will soon come around is the dreaded mosquito, bringing with it not only irritation and annoyance but also the possibility of disease.
The good news is that there are a variety of techniques and natural methods that you can use to keep mosquitoes away from your property during the summer and other times of the year. Follow these simple instructions and you’ll be able to either reduce or eliminate this troublesome insect and keep your family, friends, and coworkers safe.
The Dangers of a Mosquito Infestation
The biggest reason it’s necessary to keep mosquitoes away from your property is their ability to carry diseases such as malaria, yellow fever, chikungunya fever, dengue fever, and several others. While many types of insects and even rodents can transmit a variety of diseases to humans, mosquitoes are particularly dangerous because they feed on blood. This makes transmission of any disease they’re carrying more likely.
Effective Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away
If you want to keep mosquitoes away from your property, you can do so by reducing the reasons why they come around in the first place.
Here are a few techniques that you can implement very easily:
- Remove Standing Water — Like other pests, mosquitoes congregate in areas with water sources. Whenever possible, remove any standing water in your yard.
- Use Mesh Screens — If the weather is warm and you plan to leave the doors or windows open, make sure they each have a mesh screen. This is very effective because the mosquitoes won’t be able to fit through.
- Trim Down Your Yard — Mosquitoes are attracted to cool areas created by overgrown grass, tree limbs, and brush. Be sure to keep the yard mowed and trimmed.
- Use Fans Outside, Too — If you plan to be outside, take a fan or two with you. The blowing air will keep the mosquitoes at bay.
Natural Mosquito Repellants for Your Home
When trying to keep mosquitoes away from your property, it’s always best to use organic pest control methods.
Here are a few natural mosquito repellents to keep in mind:
- Lavender Flowers/Spray — Crushing lavender flowers will produce a fragrance that mosquitoes don’t like. You can also rub lavender oil on parts of your skin that they seem attracted to.
- Citronella Candles — You can pick up a few citronella plants, but candles are a good option, too. They have a pleasant odor and will repel mosquitoes and other types of insects.
- Apple Cider Vinegar — The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are well known, but a lot of people don’t realize that it repels mosquitoes, too. Put some into a spray bottle and spray in places where you’ve seen mosquitoes gather.
- Bowl of Soapy Water — One of the simplest ways to dispose of mosquitoes is to set out a bowl of soapy water. They will be attracted by the scent and end up drowning.
- Add Garlic to Meals — It’s been said that eating garlic can make you unappealing to mosquitoes. If you’re not a big fan, boil some and spray it in areas where they gather.
How to Effectively Treat Mosquito Bites
Although it’s important to keep mosquitoes away because they can carry disease, the most likely effect that you’ll notice after being bitten is itchy skin. Even if your skin isn’t very sensitive, it can be quite annoying and may even cause redness or slight swelling.
Most of the time, you can treat mosquito bites with topical ointments such as hydrocortisone or with natural solutions such as applying apple cider vinegar, a slice of raw onion, or freshly cut garlic. If bites lead to an infection or an allergic reaction, see a doctor right away.
Professional Mosquito Control
As with all pests, mosquitoes can quickly get out of control. Once your home or business has an infestation, it can seem like the mosquitoes are everywhere all the time. You won’t be able to walk outside at night without getting “eaten up.” The best solution is to hire a professional pest control company that will be able to take care of the problem right away. After all, when it comes to pests, the sooner they’re gone, the better.
Contact ProHealth Pest Control to Learn How to Keep Mosquitoes Away
The experts at ProHealth have the expertise and equipment for all residential and commercial pest control needs. If you have any questions on how to keep mosquitoes away from your home or business, or would like to set up an appointment, reach out to our website or call us at (727) 308-3470.