What to do if you hear noises in your walls.
Rodents can be very destructive to the exterior and interior of your home or business and its inhabitants. Not only do they carry germs and disease, but they also love to chew and gnaw on anything they can get their teeth on. This is a big reason why residential pest control and commercial pest control has become such a necessity throughout the state of Florida and beyond.
Noises in walls are a clear indication of a pest infestation, but there are other signs that rodent control is needed rather than some other type of pest control. It’s important that you determine the presence of rodents before calling upon the help of a professional so that he or she knows what they’re being asked to eliminate. This will also cut down on the time and cost involved.
Evidence of a Possible Rodent Infestation
A rodent’s presence is typically very easy to determine because they’re not exactly discreet. Their size (especially rats) make them an easy target to spot much of the time, but there are other telltale signs that you can look for throughout your property.
Here are the most common:
- Scratching or movement noises – The size of rodents often differentiate them from other pests. If you hear noises in your walls such as scratching or moving around, they’re likely the culprit.
- Rodent droppings – Rodents will use the restroom anywhere, which makes droppings inside and outside your home quite common. Be careful cleaning them up, because they can be a source of hantavirus.
- Signs of gnawing/chewing – Rodents will chew through anything and everything. If you notice teeth marks in cardboard boxes, walls, wires, and other areas, you most likely have an infestation.
- Urine smell – Droppings are a problem, but urination is so much worse. If you catch a whiff of urine in your home or business, you should look for other signs.
- Actual sightings – We left the obvious for last. If you spot a mouse or rat, assume that they have friends nearby and that you could be on the verge of a full-on infestation.
What to Do About Signs of an Infestation
Rodents often carry disease and will cause damage to your home or business. Not only must you learn the signs of a pest infestation involving rodents such as noises in walls, but you must also know what to do after you make such a discovery.
Here’s what we suggest:
- Remove water sources – Like many other pests, rodents will often be attracted to exterior water sources and then make the short jaunt inside once they get close. Remove any standing water right away.
- Seal entry points – Even though rodents can chew through your walls, they’re even more likely to get inside through open entry points. If you have cracks, gaps, or holes in your structure, get them sealed.
- Secure the garbage – All rodents are attracted to garbage inside and outside your home or business. Take out the trash on a regular basis and make sure it’s tied up and a lid is placed on the trash can.
- Keep kitchen clean – Nothing attracts mice and rats quite like a dirty kitchen because they assume it’s a great meal source. Don’t leave food out, throw away scraps, and wipe down counters regularly.
- Store food in containers – Plastic and glass containers will prevent food odors from attracting all sorts of pests, including rodents. Put leftovers in these containers as soon as you’ve finished eating.
Prohealth Pest Control Can Help Eliminate a Rat Infestation
Noises in walls and other signs of a rodent infestation must be handled right away before the situation becomes dire. Prohealth Pest Control can help eliminate mice, rats, and other rodents with the use of organic pest control in Clearwater. If you’d like to learn more about our methods used for rodent control, termite control, cockroach control, spider control, or any other issues, give our experts a call at (727) 308-4129.