Do-It-Yourself Bed Bug Treatment
Bed bugs can be an absolute menace and are notoriously difficult to eliminate. They’re small and flat, giving them the ability to hide in hard-to-reach spots in your bed and other areas. You can get rid of bed bugs yourself, but keep in mind that it will probably take weeks or possibly months.
If you decide to go this route, here’s the best method:
- Prepare the Room — If you’re going to be using chemicals of any kind, you should remove or cover any items you don’t want exposed. For any sheets, linens, or clothes that you remove, wash them in hot water just in case there are any bed bugs present.
- Treat Cracks & Crevices — Bed bugs can get into very tight places, so you should first treat these areas. This includes any cracks and crevices found in your bed and in any other area of the room.
- Treat the Mattress — Next, use a bed bug aerosol spray to treat your mattress and box spring. Be sure not to miss the seams, tufts, and folds of the mattress.
- Use Concentrated Spray — Now you’re ready to treat the rest of the room with a concentrated insecticide using a pump sprayer. Make sure you spray the chemical onto baseboards, in the corners, around doors and windows, and under the furniture.
- Use Bed Bug Aerosol — Once you’ve applied the insecticide, grab your bed bug aerosol spray again. You’ll use this in a variety of areas such as the bed frame, drawers, picture frames, etc.
- Apply Bed Bug Dust — Bed bug dust is an insecticide, but in a powder form. Using a hand duster, apply the powder to hard-to-reach places such as cracks and crevices, electrical outlet covers, between the mattress and box spring, along baseboards, etc.
- Kill Live Bed Bugs — Bed bugs are small, but they’re definitely visible by the naked eye. If you see any live, adult bed bugs following the treatment, use an insecticide or rubbing alcohol to kill them.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat — This type of bed bug treatment typically takes at least a few applications. You should treat the infested room every 7 to 10 days until you see no more signs of their presence.
Why Working with Professionals is the Best Choice
The do-it-yourself method detailed above will get rid of bed bugs, but you’ll have to deal with waking up to new bed bug bites on most mornings until they’re gone. This is why it’s always best to contact a pest control company if you discover these nasty insects in your home.
Here are some of the reasons why a professional is always the best choice:
Years of Experience
First and foremost, pest control companies have something that you probably don’t when it comes to bed bugs – years of experience. This means that they’ve dealt with thousands of bed bugs since their company was formed. While experience alone won’t guarantee results, their level of expertise is indispensable when dealing with all types of pests.
Professionals have used a variety of methods over the years to get rid of bed bugs. Some of these have involved organic pest control to help ensure the safety of both the environment and household members, including pets. Most pest control companies now use a heat treatment that raises the temperature of a room or the entire home, which even hiding bed bugs can’t escape from.
While you may have some type of pest control chemical at your home, you probably don’t have the equipment needed to vanquish an entire bed bug infestation promptly. Since professionals will typically use a heat treatment, this takes a specific piece of equipment for the procedure. If a different treatment is recommended, they’ll have what’s necessary to get into hard-to-reach places.
Since a do-it-yourself method can take weeks or even months, this isn’t an ideal solution. The goal of a pest control professional is to eliminate all of the bed bugs in a single treatment whenever possible. Even if they need to come back for a second treatment, this is still much faster than you would be able to do it.
A pest control professional will always stand behind the quality of their work. They will offer some type of guarantee that the bed bugs have all been eliminated. If they reappear in a short amount of time, the exterminator will return to your home to make sure that they’re gone once and for all.
Contact ProHealth Pest Control to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
ProHealth Pest Control offers residential and commercial pest control solutions that will get rid of bed bugs very quickly. If you have any questions about how to prevent bed bugs or would like to schedule service, reach out to our by calling (727) 888-6253 today to schedule a free consultation.