How do you manage an infestation of American cockroaches?
American cockroaches are the largest species of household roaches. Unlike their German cousins, these bugs usually make their homes outdoors in rotting wood or soil. However, if given the chance, they will happily come indoors and set down roots. These invaders are one of the most common reasons for calls to a professional pest control company. Once they enter your property, their tough bodies, adaptability, and incredible capacity for breeding make the American cockroach difficult to remove and your own nightmare to handle.
With the help of professional pest control in Clearwater, it is possible to completely free your property of these unsanitary invaders. However, before you reach for the phone, there are some things you can do to reduce populations of American cockroaches in your home or business, such as:
1. Make Your Property Less Hospitable
Like all living things, cockroaches need food, water, and shelter to survive. The first step to freeing your space of invading insects is to remove their access to these basic necessities:
- Repair leaking pipes and clear up any puddles of standing water to cut them off from their water supply. Check inside and outside of your building.
- Cluttered spaces are the ideal breeding ground for American Cockroaches. Clean out your storage spaces. Throw out stored cardboard and papers or seal these items in a plastic bag.
- Keep trash cans and pet dishes tightly covered, especially at night. Try to remove trash every night to discourage midnight feedings. Place pet dishes outside if they were not finished each night.
- Limit food consumption to one area. Vigilantly clean that area often to keep existing infestations from spreading.
Keeping your environment clean is the most effective defense against American cockroaches.
2. Defend Your Space
Use these tips to keep outdoor pests from moving in:
- Check the perimeter of your building. Seal up any holes, cracks, or access points that could let insects in.
- Use caulk to refresh the seals around windows, doors, and baseboards.
- Install mesh screens over windows, AC vents, and floor drains. Choose a material with smaller holes to keep these big bugs out.
- Inspect your doors and windows. Repair any gaps in or around the frames.
Even the smallest crack can be the gateway to a bug infestation. Strengthen your outer defenses to keep the inside of your buildings pest-free.
3. Kick Up Your Defense with Natural Substances
Organic pest control methods are an effective way to defeat infestations without endangering people, pets, and other life forms. The application of essential oils can repel bugs or help keep them confined to one area of the building. These oils contain compounds that irritate the respiratory systems of American cockroaches and prompt them to find other areas to occupy:
- Tea tree
- Citrus (oranges, lemon, grapefruit)
There are a few ways to use these oils in your fight against infestations, and they include:
- Place a diffuser in the affected area to fill the air with a constant scent that drives roaches away.
- Mix oils with cleaning supplies when washing down walls, floors, and appliances.
- Sprinkle oil full strength around the perimeter of affected rooms or in areas that show signs of cockroach activity.
- Mix a few drops of oil with vinegar to clean window glass and seals.
Be cautious with your oil use. Too much of these substances can damage fabrics, irritate your skin or eyes, or cause sensitivity to certain respiratory systems.
Find Professional Relief from American Cockroaches with Prohealth Pest Control
If these home remedies don’t give you the relief you need, call the experts at Prohealth Pest Control for commercial pest control, residential pest control, and organic pest control in Clearwater. Our technicians use a variety of organic pest control methods that can help you reclaim your property from American cockroaches and many other unwelcome invaders.
With the help of professional pest control in Clearwater FL, it is possible to completely free your property of these unsanitary invaders. Expert organic pest control can also help with bed bug control and termite control.
Contact us to learn more about commercial and residential pest control for your property!